Tuesday, February 2, 2010

In Defence of Brussels Sprouts

This weekend we had some new friends over for dinner. Naturally, I made a traditional Ethiopian meal...cuz that's normal, right? Anyway, one of our guests joined me in the kitchen as I was getting ready to serve - I asked if either half of the couple preferred light meat over dark. The response was "we eat pretty much everything (my heart soared!), except for Brussels sprouts (it crashed to earth, saw stars and everything...)." I pulled my dizzy heart up by its boot straps and managed a "yeah...I hear that a lot..."

I love Brussels sprouts and I'm married to a hater, in fact, no one in my family likes them. I've spent a LOT of time trying to influence opinions about these tasty little cabbages with pretty good success. Below is my first of 3 favorite ways to enjoy these small, sweet, crunchy, complicated little friends of mine - this one is great with chicken and fish or as a main with a side of nutty roast squash.

Pan Seared Sprouts with Lemon Fennel Butter
Yield: 2 side servings
Veg as written, easily vegan'd, gluten free

Ingredients:
12 Brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed, outer leaves removed, and halved
1 T unsalted butter
1 t fennel seeds, chopped
S&P
1/2 c water, stock or wine
1/2 t lemon juice
1/2 t lemon zest

Method:

  1. In a large saute pan (preferably with a lid), melt butter over medium heat, do not allow to brown
  2. Add sprouts, cut side down and cook for several minutes until they begin to color. Don't worry if they get a little dark, this will add a lot of flavor and sweetness.
  3. Once the sprouts begin to color, add fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Cook about 2 minutes more.
  4. Making sure all sprouts are still face down, add liquid and cover pan quickly. The liquid will steam up through the dense cabbage bodies and help carry the buttery fennely goodness into all the layers. Keep covered for a minute or 2. When you remove the lid, the guys should be bright green and the pan should be close to dry.
  5. Give the pan a flip to send them all on their backs or just flick them with a fork to get them sunny side up. Continue cooking for a couple more minutes or until they are fork tender. Toss with lemon juice and zest. You don't want them to be all soft - they should still have a little body to them. Taste one - should be buttery and fantastic - nice and al dente. If they're still tasting like cole slaw, then try to get them all cut side down again and add a little more liquid. Conversely, if they are too soft you're out of luck, but I encourage you to try again another day. They're so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment