Monday, January 11, 2010

First, You Make A Roux...

...is pretty much the first thing I remember about cooking.

My mom has been telling me this since our days in the mustard and avocado kitchen on Rockmere. Sometimes she actually made a roux, most of the time it was a proclamation as she gathered her version of mis en place.

She has always been a wonderful cook and put a lot of time and effort into exposing us to the world beyond chicken nuggets. She taught my brother and me to try new things and to try them again when we didn't like them the first time (ok...maybe that was more about getting us to eat our veggies than honing our pallets...). She encouraged us to be present when she was in the kitchen and fostered our culinary curiosity. She even made my lunch every day until I graduated from high school. (Thanks Mom.)

My mom ended up with a couple of kids who love to eat almost as much as we love to create and share. Its pretty cool. So that's what this blog is about - to share my tasty accidents that so often happen in my kismet mess.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment